Monday, May 4, 2009

Flattering Plagerism

So every now and then I check up on the competition to see what they're offering. There's some really creative stuff out there and I have so many ideas in my little brain that I cannot create fast enough. So tonight I was browsing through some competitors sites and came across (wall stamp . net)--> I typed it this way on purpose - I'm not giving these guys an inbound link. I see at the top that there's a tab for their blog and I decide to click on it. Wow! They are truly original. Curious? You should first check out http://www.bloomingwords.com/Default.aspx?ID=69 then go to the site I mentioned above and click on their blog tab. Look similar? They totally took pictures from our website and made up some random story and posted it as their own. Here's the cute little story they made up...

I love to go to people’s homes and see unique decor, especially in the kitchen. I’m constantly amazed at how often vinyl lettering can be used in home decor. Aside from the traditional wall words, vinyl lettering can create some really unique home decor, even in the kitchen. Recently I was at a friends home and saw some really unique decor items in her kitchen. She had some very nice vines along the top of her kitchen cabinets with a nice home decor sign that featured a quote about hot bread (butter 25cents extra), along with some other items. However, what reallly caught my eye were some decorative plates she had next to her stove, right under her spice rack. They were simple ceramic plates that matched the decor of her kitchen, but the plates had printed on them different vegetables, such as tomato, onion, olive, etc. They were on plate stands, and the lettering and graphics were painted on. I thought, “how easy would this be to recreate using vinyl lettering?” So, I went to the store, bought a couple of colored plates that matched my decor ($2.00 each) and recreated the decorative plates using vinyl letters. When all was said and done, I had recreated the same decorative plates at a fraction (about 1/4) of the cost that my friend paid for her decorative plates.


Really!? Mom is excited because she has a friend now that she didn't know she had (those plates are in her kitchen). It's really funny that I stumbled across this the same day they posted it. Weird. Anyways, I'm not sure if I should email them or just post a comment on our vinyl blog because you know they'll be back again. It would be kinda fun to mess with them a little. I know...I should email them and say I really liked the vinyl on the plates and wanted to know how to order. Hmmm...it's going to be hard to create something you don't have. They're really good at making up stories so it could be interesting. I know, I know, I should play nice and not say anything at all but what's the fun in that!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I would totally say something! THIEVES:)

Casey said...

OOOhhh... Totally say something. How rude!

Ryan and Rikke said...

Thanks so much for the comment! That's so exciting that you started your own business! I would love if you sent me something, but you totally don't need to do that. And honestly, you have so many cute things on your site I wouldn't even know where to start. Unfortunately I won't be at the awesome reunion either. To be honest, I don't remember the last time I was there. Once I got too old for the waterslide it lost all of its fun. Anyway, so good to hear from you! I hope all is well!

Rikke